How to get guidance from Allah with Istikhara?
Have you experienced moments of indecision in your life? Especially, when you do not find the right thing to do or the right course of action to follow. If yes, then you are not alone because every person experiences such moments of indecision, where you need divine guidance.
At those times, you need to perform Istikhara. It connects you with Allah and clarifies your mind from confusing thoughts. Thus, you decide better for yourself in any matter.
This post will teach you how to do Istikhara and ask Allah for the best guidance for your decision. So, keep reading further. It will help you.
How to perform Istikhara?
Prophet of Islam(PBUH) taught his companions the Salat-ul-Istikhara just like every Salat. That’s why in the early days of Islam, Sahaba had the habit to perform Istikhara before taking any decision. It would be best if you do the same for yourself.
Here are complete steps to do Istikhara.
Perform a Wudu before offering Salat-ul-Istikhara. Here are steps to Wudu.
- Start Wudu with Bismillah.
- Wash your both hands with water.
- Clean your body areas with water three times: mouth, nose, face, and lower forearms.
- Take water in your hands and perform Masah. It means slide your wet hands on heads and ears.
- Then, clean your feet with water starting from the right foot. You must do it thrice.
- Now, point to the sky with your right index finger and say prayer of witness: “Ash-hadu al laa ilaaha illALLAHu wahdahuu laa shariikalahu, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan ‘abduhuu wa rasuuluh.”
- Now, you complete Wudu or ablution.
If you emitted semen or had intercourse, then you must perform proper Ghusal in order to cleanse yourself.
Prepare yourself for Salat-ul-Istikhara
Now, you must take your prayer mat and place it on the clean floor. It must point towards Qibla. After that, you must stand on it facing Qibla.
Start your prayer
Center yourself with intention of Istikhara. Raise your hands to your ears and say, Allahu Akbar. After that, you need to recite Dua-e-Istiftah. Then, you must recite Ta’awwuz and Tasmia.
- The Istiftah prayer is: “Subhana Kal-lah hum-ma wabi hamdika wata-baara kasmuka wata’ala jad-duka wala ilaha ghyruk.”
- The Ta’awwuz is: “A’udhu bil-lahi minash Shayta-nir-rajeem.”
- The Tasmia is: “Bismillah hir-Rahma nir-Raheem.”
Recite Surah Fatiha
Now, you must recite Surah Fatiha just like other Salah.
- Alhamdul lil-lahi rab-bil ‘alameen
- Ar rahma nir-raheem
- Maliki yawmid-deen
- Iyyaka na’budu wa iyyaka nasta’een
- Ihdinas siratal mustaqeem
- Siratal Lazeena an’amta ‘alayhim
- Ghai-ril maghdubi ‘alayhim
- Walad dal-leen. Ameen.
Recite any short Surah from the Quran
After Surah Fatiha, you must recite at least three verses of the Quran or any short Surah like Surah Kafirun or Ikhlas.
Now, you must bend with your hands on knees and perform Raku. You must say “Sunhana rabi yal Azeem” thrice, and stand up.
Now, you must recite prayer “Rabana walakal Hamad.”
Now, you must go to Sajda with your nose and forehead on the ground with hands on the side of your head placed on the ground. Recite prayer “Subhana rabi yal Aala” thrice, and sit down on your knees. After that, repeat Sajda again with the same prayer and stand up for the second Rakat.
Perform the second Rakat
Now, you must perform the second Rakat similar to the first. However, you must recite a different Surah after Fatiha.
Sit in Ata hiyat
After performing second Sajda in the second Rakat, you must sit in Ata hiyat and recite prayers. Then, you must end Rakat with Salam.
Recite Istikhara Dua
After Salam, you must recite Istikhara Dua that is:
Allahumma innee astakheeruka bi ilmika wa-astaqdiruka biqudratika wa-as’aluka min fadhlika al-adheem. Fa innaka taqdiru walaa aqdiru. Wa ta’lamu walaa a’alamu wa anta allaamul ghuyoob.
Allahumma in kunta ta’lamu anna haadhal-amr khayrun liy fiy deeniy wa-ma’aashiy wa-‘aaqibat amriy, faqdur hu liy wa- liy thumma baarik liy feehi. Wa in-kunta ta’lamu anna haadhal amr sharrun liy fiy deeniy wa-ma’aashiy wa-‘aaqibat amriy. Fa asrifhu ‘annee wa-srifni ‘anhu. Wa aqdur lial khayra haythu kaana thumma a-rdhiniy bihee.
If your mind is not clear after one Istikhara, then you must repeat it until you have clarification or a clear direction.
The best time for Istikhara
You can perform Istikhara anytime you want. However, it’s better to offer Salat-ul-Istikhara after Fajar or Isha. It’s because you have a clear mind at dawn or night.
What is necessary for Istikhara?
If you want the best guidance, then you must follow these guidelines.
- Ask Allah with sincerity.
- Ask Allah with conviction instead of begging.
- Be patient after Istikhara.
If you want to make the best decision in any matter, then Istikhara is the way to get divine guidance. Offer it with sincerity. You will never make any bad decisions, and you will never regret your decision made after Istikhara. Have a good day.